July 9 – 13 from 8:30am – 2:45pm
For a week this summer we have the immense privilege to serve alongside Church of the First Born in downtown Chattanooga. For 8 weeks Monday thru Friday from 8:30am – 2:45pm Church of the First Born hosts a children’s summer program called MVP. The program is for children ages 5-15. Each day the children are fed 2 meals (breakfast & lunch) and they participate in a variety of activities – Bible class, arts & crafts, tutoring for math & reading, outdoor recreation, and music & dance.
Church of the First Born has graciously invited us to come and join them for the week of July 9 – 13. Serving the children and assisting the men and women who run the program week in and week out.
This is a unique opportunity for us to experience ministering and serving a community that’s so close to our own home but still one that we aren’t familiar with. We often see “missions” as traveling the world. However, we have the opportunity for mission in our own city.
We often go to “serve”, to give of ourselves, thinking we have something big we can do for God. But it is in serving the least of these that we recognize the unfaithfulness, pride, jealously, bitterness, and hardness of our own heart. It is in serving, that the Lord ministers to us – He softens us, humbles us, and grows us. As we try and minister to others, we end up growing closer to God and understanding Him more.
If you are interested in this opportunity you must sign up beforehand (see below). We will have a brief training session for everyone interested in attending on Sunday July 8th from 4-5pm.
There are 2 forms that need to be completed and turned in to the Youth Office before you are allowed to participate.
- Permission Form Church of First Born Service Project 2018
- Church of the First Born’s Participation Waiver
- Question: Do I have to be available to attend every day for a week?
- Answer: We would love for you to. There is great value for both you and the people we are serving for consistency but understand there may be things that prohibit you from being there every day. We ask that you be able to attend at least 3 out of the 5 days we will be there.
- Question: What if I’m not available for the training date?
- Answer: We’d really appreciate it if you could make it a priority to be there but if you can’t then you need to let the youth staff know ahead of time and we will reschedule your training.
- Question: What if I don’t have all my paper work turned in before we leave?
- Answer: You won’t be able to go.